Rush reference in August 27 Wall Street Journal Editorial
George Lane
2023-08-28 01:03:01 UTC
Opening paragraph of an opinion column by John J. Miller in Saturday's
WSJ, regarding a proposal to study the implementation of VMT (vehicle-
miled traveled) taxes:

"The lyrics of the 1981 song, 'Red Barchetta' by the Canadian rock band
Rush describe the thrill of racing a vintage roadster in a future when
driving is illegal. 'I commit my weekly crime,' sings vocalist Geddy lee,
in an era governed by 'the motor law' and policed by a 'gleaming alloy air
car.' That dystopian visions seems a faraway fantasy, but motorists in
Michigan may think of it when they learn about a state plan to use Global
Positioning System devices to track mileage an tax drivers based on road
usage."

George Lane
Atlanta, US
Norbert K
2023-09-01 16:31:48 UTC
Post by George Lane
Opening paragraph of an opinion column by John J. Miller in Saturday's
WSJ, regarding a proposal to study the implementation of VMT (vehicle-
"The lyrics of the 1981 song, 'Red Barchetta' by the Canadian rock band
Rush describe the thrill of racing a vintage roadster in a future when
driving is illegal. 'I commit my weekly crime,' sings vocalist Geddy lee,
in an era governed by 'the motor law' and policed by a 'gleaming alloy air
car.' That dystopian visions seems a faraway fantasy, but motorists in
Michigan may think of it when they learn about a state plan to use Global
Positioning System devices to track mileage an tax drivers based on road
usage."
George Lane
Atlanta, US
Thanks! I don't read that paper and missed the reference.