When Did You Realize Rush Were Over?
Ken
2020-01-10 12:35:13 UTC
It was pretty clear that the R40 Live tour was going to be Rush's last tour. The guys didn't rule out the possibility of an occasional show. More hopefully for fans, the guys didn't rule out the possibility of future albums, either. And it seemed that Geddy and Alex believed that the band might well record again. A year or so after R40, when a music journalist asked Lifeson why the band wasn't working on anything new, he said that they usually took a break after a tour. In the footage of Alex visiting the guitar shop in Japan post-R40, Alex made some comment along the lines of: "We look to the future in this band" -- meaning they focus on their next project rather than dwelling on the past. In fact, even after Neil referred to himself as a "former drummer" in one of his updates, Geddy insisted that the "former" referred to live performance.

Something changed, however. At some point, it dawned on G&A that Neil was truly retired -- not just from live performance, but from Rush and drumming in general. I wonder what the nature of Neil's communication to the others was. Was it a casual email? Did he speak w/ them in person? Was he apologetic at all? Whatever the case, Geddy and Alex have reconciled themselves to the fact that Neil will not be participating in any future collaborations with G&A.
Jamie
2020-01-10 17:42:04 UTC
I don't know. Geddy went from being hopeful about further Rush work to appearing on the Eddie Trunk show talking about he was reasonably happy with how the band ended.
songbird
2020-01-10 20:48:32 UTC
Post by Ken
[...]
when something hurts, stop doing it if you can.

i have utmost respect for Neil and the rest of the band.
they rocked and i like almost all of their music. some songs
i had to listen to a few times to figure it out. the songs
they say they didn't particularly like i actually did.

songbird
Ken
2020-01-10 22:10:36 UTC
Got my answer. It wasn't what I expected.
songbird
2020-01-11 03:56:54 UTC
Ken wrote:
Post by Ken
Got my answer. It wasn't what I expected.
same here, he did a good job of keeping it private.
which is consistent with the rest of his behaviors
and words.

songbird
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-01-11 00:52:22 UTC
Post by Ken
Something changed, however. At some point, it dawned on G&A that Neil was
truly retired -- not just from live performance, but from Rush and drumming
in general.
The reason why something changed was that he had brain cancer. He died
of it last Tuesday, 67 years old.
c dubois
2023-04-10 21:53:42 UTC
[...]
Wasn't it later on this very day that Neil's death was announced?